Sunday, August 21, 2011

recipe for yeast waffles



I  read a recipe recently that called for yeast to be added to the pancake or waffle batter.  It intrigued me because I was frustrated that my pancakes/waffles weren't getting the rise I wanted and my waffles in particular were not as moist and fluffy on the inside as I would like.  There are several types of recipes out there, some as complicated as making a starter, etc.--and days or weeks later you might have breakfast. I couldn't wait that long, so I made up my own recipe using my favorite pancake/waffle mix and the results were exactly what I wanted--golden brown exterior and a light and airy interior. I also recommend the Cuisinart Belgian Waffle Maker.  The color and temperature settings and the built in timer makes sure the waffles cook perfectly and evenly every time.

Make this recipe the night before so the batter is nice and spongy in the morning. 

2 cups Krusteaz  Buttermilk Complete Pancake Mix  (Safeway has this, and it is a good one because it has both whole wheat and white flour).
1 packet (1/4oz) dry natural yeast
1/4 cup warm milk  (120 degrees)
1 to 1 1/4 cup water
2 TBL  vegetable oil
pinch salt

Warm milk in the microwave or small saucepan--do not over heat, it will kill the yeast.  Stir in the yeast and set aside. Let stand about 10 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, mix the pancake mix, water and oil--do not over mix.  Stir in yeast mixture and add extra water if necessary. Cover and chill overnight.  Pour onto preheated waffle maker and cook to desired color.  Makes 8, 4 inch Belgian waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment