Tuesday, June 29, 2010

eel river still pristine at redway, ca.

Well, another Father's Day, another birthday--really quite lovely. The first few days in Crescent City had great weather, and a wonderful visit with family, including my brother's mother-in-law Anitra and a very special visit and lunch with my high school English teacher and college mentor, Doris Whalen. Thank you for encouraging my writing--it comforts me to this day.
On Thursday we headed for the redwoods for a now four year annual family get together.  One of the highlights for me was a day trip up 101 to Redway, CA. to look for mom's family cabin and river access.  From the 1920's to 1950's my family had a cabin at Redway (the Hampton's of Eureka at the time)--there are photos of my grandparents (mom's folks) courting next to a Model T Roadster at the Eel River.  Mom said her first date with my dad was probably on that same beach. The cabin is long gone but luckily the river edge remains white and pristine, handholds worn into the rock face are still visible, and a path, where a road once was is still the hot ticket to access this little slice of natural beauty, time immortal.

No comments:

Post a Comment