Tuesday, September 22, 2009

rich southern cuisine at brenda's french soul food

I discovered a delicious little spot this week that I can't wait to revisit. Okay, I didn't discover it, I knew about it and just hadn't got a chance to go there. First, they usually have a wait and I wanted to pick the least crowded time. Turns out, Mondays at 2:00pm is only about a 5 minute wait.

Brenda's French Soul Food is located at 652 Polk Street in San Francisco. Brenda is a native of New Orleans transplanted to San Francisco with quite an impressive resume of restaurant gigs and it shows. If you love beignets there are 4 types to choose from and even a sampler plate if you can't decide. I was most interested in a Granny Smith apple beignet oozing with honey butter or a savory beignet with crawfish, scallions and cheddar.

I indulged in a po' boy with fried shrimp, chipolte remoulade and thin crispy fries ($9.50). My mouth was watering when a plate of creamy, cheesy grits went by topped with glistening shrimp. Mile high home made cream biscuits are the house specialty and to make it even more difficult to decide, there is a daily specials board with the likes of catfish benedict, Cajun shrimp pot pie and bananas Foster French toast. Most items are below $10.00.

Give Brenda's a visit for something a little different and unexpected for breakfast and brunch. I will continue to plot my next visit while filling my time with dreams of shrimp and grits.

1 comment:

  1. Brenda's French Soul Food is a great place to eat French food. It might take time to make a reservation as it is always crowded. Recommended !

    Cathy
    French course

    ReplyDelete