Wednesday, December 5, 2018

enjoying the thanksgiving and christmas holidays 2018


I have been getting into the spirit of the holidays more so this year than usual.  There have been alot of changes this year, with Gump's filing bankruptcy--and me taking a new job at Bloomingdale's as a result.  Change is always challenging, but I have been very blessed with having lots of friend get togethers, birthday dinners, lunches and my great book club gang to name a few to make me feel more settled and vowed to myself that I would make every effort to enjoy the time.  I had a lovely, simple Thanksgiving, visiting friends and family all day by phone and text.  I cooked a cute little 9 lb bird that made great lunches for the next 5 days.  I also made an old favorite recipe of mine that I had published in a Neiman Marcus cookbook many years ago, spinach souffle casserole. This is a decadent recipe of cheesy goodness that tastes as good cold as it does right out of the oven.  I topped off the day by starting the all red holiday decorations with a new little tree that I got this year for the entrance way--it sits just right on the chest and has a nice reflection in the mirror.  One more tree to go!
spinach souffle casserole recipe:
4  10oz frozen boxes/bags of chopped spinach
1 1/2 cups grated medium cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups grated Monterey jack cheese
(3 cups total)
2 green onions thinly sliced
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ tsp salt (scant)
½ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
4 eggs, separated
Defrost spinach and place in a colander and drain well---press down with paper towels, till very dry.  Spray a 9x12 glass casserole dish with non-stick spray and set aside.  Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly beat egg yolks till frothy.   Beat egg whites till light peaks form.
In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients except the egg whites.  Fold the egg whites lightly into the mixture---turn into the baking dish and bake approx. 35 minutes till lightly puffed and golden.  Rest before cutting.




No comments:

Post a Comment